ASHRAE's Fundamentals of HVAC Design and Operations
September 10 - 12, 2018
8:00am - 4:30pm (Daily)
NOTE: Participants will be offered breakfast, morning refreshment break, lunch and afternoon refreshment break daily.
APPA is partnering with ASHRAE to offer training that provides participants with instruction that accelerates their transformation into effective members of a design, construction, operations or facilities maintenance team. Developed by industry-leading professionals selected by ASHRAE, the training provides attendees with the fundamentals and technical aspects of HVAC design. Attendees will gain practical skills and knowledge to design and maintain HVAC systems that can be put to immediate use.
Who Should Attend
- Facilities managers responsible for managing building operations staff
- Facilities managers involved in new construction or major renovation projects
- Technicians or front line supervisors who would like to gain design knowledge
- Architects who want to understand fundamental HVAC system design
How Your Institution Will Benefit
The training helps attendees understand:
- How to improve overall building performance
- The technologies that lead to improved building performance
- The economics of sustainable buildings and the roles of the designer and facilities manager
- The basic skills needed to design and/or operate high-performance buildings
- The skill set that will be required by designers and operators of the future
- Techniques to interact effectively with all design partners (architects, owners, other engineering disciplines) in an integrated design team
Don Brandt, CEM, Life Member ASHRAE, BEAP
Donald L. Brandt, CEM, Life Member ASHRAE, BEAP, worked for Trane the entire 39 years of his HVAC industry career. He held the positions of sales engineer, sales manager, trainer, facility manager and controls project manager. During his tenure, he worked in the sales offices in Wilkes-Barre-Allentown, PA, and Phoenix, AZ. Don has been active in ASHRAE, serving at the Chapter, Regional and Society Levels, including DRC for Region X from 2002-2005, Standards Committee from 2005-2009 and Nominating Committee from 2010-2016. He received the ASHRAE Distinguished Service Award in 2005 and the Exceptional Service Award in 2015. Don is an ASHRAE Learning Institute instructor for the “HVAC Design-Essentials” and “HVAC Design-Applications” courses, both in the US and internationally. He is also the author of the new “Fundamentals of Psychrometrics” self-directed learning course. He is a graduate of Pennsylvania State University with a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering.
Joel Primeau, P.Eng., ASHRAE Member, HBDP, LEED AP
Joel Primeau is a sales engineer with over 27 years of HVAC experience. He has lead and assisted teams of engineers and technicians in the design and construction of high-performance, sustainable facilities. Joel’s experience spans a wide range of engineering design and construction projects. His expertise is in the design of high-efficiency HVAC systems that enhance indoor air quality and comfort. Joel frequently trains engineers, architects and facility managers on the design process, central heating and chilling plant optimization, high-performance HVAC systems, and heat recovery applications. Joel is a Licensed Professional Engineer, ASHRAE Certified High-Performance Building Design Professional (HBDP), and a LEED Accredited Professional. He earned a BEng in Mechanical Engineering from the Royal Military College in Kingston, Canada. After a brief career as an army engineer, Joel has since worked in the HVAC industry in consulting, facilities management and technical sales.