Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer

APPA History

From Humble Origins…To Great Accomplishments

APPA was formerly known as the Association of Superintendents of Buildings and Grounds, and later became known as the Association of Physical Plant Administrators, or APPA. In more recent years, the organization changed its name to APPA and added the tagline, Leadership in Educational Facilities, to reflect the growth of K-12, museums, libraries, and other non-higher education institutions within its membership. Today, we are recognized globally as a leader in professional development programs, credentialing, research, publications, networking, and information services for the educational facilities profession.

APPA has had several names over its 100+ years of existence:

2007  |  APPA – Leadership in Educational Facilities 

1991  |  APPA: The Association of Higher Education Facilities Officers

1969  |  Association of Physical Plant Administrators (APPA)

1954  |  National Association of Physical Plant Administrators of Universities and Colleges (NAPPA)

1948  |  Association of Physical Plant Administrators of Universities and Colleges

1914  |  Association of Superintendents of Buildings and Grounds of Universities and Colleges