Established: October, 2015
NFPA Work Group Co-Chairs: Clint Lord and Kris Zimmerman
Technical Advisor: Brooks Baker III, University of Alabama - Birmingham (retired)
Arizona State University
University of Houston - Downtown
APPA Standards and Codes Updates
The NFPA Work Group will be responsible for the following activities:
- Track and monitor the revision cycle for all NFPA standards and codes relevant to APPA member institutions, to include the NFPA 70, the National Electric Code (NEC).
- Using the ASCC Work Group Operating Procedures prepare proposed changes during the public comment periods as supported by APPA membership.
- Review, propose changes and, where necessary, solicit, collect, and analyze input received from APPA members prior to an established deadline on proposed changes to the NFPA standards and codes.
- Make recommendations to the Council on any changes recommended for formal proposal to the NFPA.
- Publish information through APPA to raise awareness of current requirements and pending changes found within the NFPA standards and codes.
- Provide representation and oral comments, where needed, on NFPA standards committees, public hearings, task forces and workshops.
- Prepare and submit formal proposals for any recommended changes to NFPA standards and codes for review and approval by the ASCC.
- Report outcomes to the ASCC for further direction.
- Work in collaboration with the Center for Campus Fire Safety’s standards program, to develop joint positions where possible.
- Recommended member code change proposals.
- Formal proposal applications.
- Report the Work Group’s findings and proposed changes to the ASCC for final direction.
- Periodic status reports to the Council as required.
- Recommendations regarding specific provisions of the draft code documents.
Do you have a problem with a NFPA Code? Click here to access the Code Change Form.
Webinars and Presentation Slides:
October 26 webinar and presentation slides on NFPA 45 - Standard on Fire Protection for Laboratories Using Chemicals; NFPA 211 - Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances; NFPA 1600 - Standard on Disaster/Emergency Management and Business Continuity Programs